Day 8: Diversity of Gender and Sexuality

Along with 'My Lesbian Experience', I actually really like reading Shojo ai/yuri manga. I had not had the chance til not to read 'My Lesbian Experience', but I enjoyed the book. I see why it was so critically acclaimed and felt more like a retelling of life verses a story. I would not say the overall story was satisfying, it almost felt like a documentary with some humor. With the illustrations along with the overall story, it is a very moving piece that gives a good perspective on her life experience. Overall I would definitely recommend the book to others to see what it could be like for someone who is gay.

Another story I am currently reading, it is still coming out weekly, is 'The Mage and the Demon Queen'. This is a story about a world that basically works like a video game, where there is usually a Demon King controlling the area and people train to become knights and mages in order to defeat the Demon King and become ruler. The Demon King is whomever is the most powerful and recently a Demon Queen has one is is now controlling the throne, Queen Vel. Then here comes along ___, who decided to defeat Queen Mel, but not to become ruler, she wants to marry her. Overall this is a really fun story that doesn't put a lot of weight on them both being girls and one trying to court the other. These are my favorite kind of Shojo ai stories for I do not feel that there had to be such weight on this subject. The more we 'normalize' the idea that anyone can love whomever they want, I feel that this will better generations to come. I feel that is has gotten to the point in society that we put so much weight on every single little thing and I can only hope for the day that people do not care if your male or female, race, sexuality... that people will judge on character and let people live the lives they wanna live. Why I really love reading "Mage and the Demon Queen" is because not one person in the story questions ____ on why she loves Mel (except that she is the super powerful demon queen), it is just a fun love story with miscommunication and antics with the protagonists happening to be 2 girls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 4: I Saw It

Day 3: Cigarette Girl

Day 7: Garden of Words